The initials themselves can be pronounced in “real voice”. However, the real voice is extremely weak in nature.
For the sake of the convenience of teaching Mandarin Chinese, we put initials with vowel
that is finals to make them pronounce louder and clearer.
The sounds produced by the initials combined with the finals are the “breath sounds”.
Here they are, let’s pronounce the initials one by one.
Recap we have the following initials:
* Labial Initials: b, p, m, f
* Dental Initials: d, t, n, l
* Velar Initials: g, k, h
* Palatal Initials: j, q, x
* Flat Tongue Initials: z, c, s
* Curled Tongue Initials: zh, ch, sh, r